Friday, October 12, 2007

Allemande Take One

Here is a clip of the first section of the Allemande. I'll keep working on it --- adding some more trills and different articulations as I learn more about playing Bach's keyboard works.

http://renditionsmusic.com/mp3/allemande_part1.mp3

I hope that the joyful nature of the key of E Major comes through. Once the microphone gets turned on, I seem to forget all of the nuances that I've been working on. When recording, I just hold my breath and hope that I don't make mistakes. A clip of the second section will follow soon.

2 comments:

David Saslav said...

I've noticed when I try to play the piano for others (or make a recording), I make strange, first-time mistakes that never showed up at all during any rehearsal.

Why do you think that is, Melissa?

I swear, it's almost as if I turn into a completely different person (let's call him "Pianist David Saslav") from the one I was while I was practicing ("Everyday David Saslav").

The result is that if every single last sequence of notes is not deeply engrained in my fingers and "muscle memory", it is at risk of going wrong - for the first time ever - in front of a microphone or human listeners.

And it's impossible to predict in advance which are the most "at risk" sequences, too, which of course would enable me to better practice and prepare them for the recording studio or recital!

Melissa Smith said...

I agree. The microphone adds a great deal of pressure, perhaps even more than a live audience. The drive for perfection, which a recording implies, makes me play with even more mistakes. And don't forget "muscle memory" is the first to go when you get nervous.